The meals distribution within the Houston space nonetheless attracts giant crowds as Thanksgiving approaches
HOUSTON – It was a busy day for volunteer giveaways for groceries in the area.
A facility at the University of Houston Downtown helped distribute groceries to students and staff before the Thanksgiving holiday.
“It is very important to help the community and seeing that UHD takes it very seriously has made me so happy,” said Joana Mucogllava, a student at UHD.
By noon, more than 250 boxes of groceries were handed out.
The partnership between the university and the Houston Food Bank has been in place for eight years and is once again proving to be urgently needed, particularly given the coronavirus pandemic.
“We know that many of our students and many of our communities are not going to eat,” said Rhonda Scherer, who is a member of the UHD Wellness Committee and helped put together the event. “You will not leave food on the table.”
It was similar at Barnett Stadium, where HISD also opened a store and ran its own food distribution.
“Families definitely need food, and you know hunger doesn’t make you vacation,” said Keith Lewis, senior area manager of the Houston Independent School District’s child nutrition division.
Hundreds of people lined up car after car to get a little help this holiday season.
The organizers expected about 1,400 cars to come through to receive food and hygiene products. The recipients were more than grateful.
“We need this and we thank God that everything is going well and that they offer us to help,” said Dwight Wiseman, who was collecting food.
“Right, we’re good,” said Refugio Garcia, who also picked up groceries. “We’re holding, but that really helps.”
If you are in need, find some food distributions in the area over the next few days. Most events take place until supplies are depleted.
- Turkey Thursday: 140 turkeys will be distributed to 10 locations in Harris County Precinct 2 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on November 19. More information is available here.
- HISD Food Distribution: Houston ISD is expanding its food distribution to ensure all students have access to healthy food during the week-long Thanksgiving break. More information is available here.
- Houston / HEB Food Giveaway: Saturday, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at NRG. More information is available here.
If you’d like to donate to efforts to provide food to those in need, here are some food drives across the area.
- Super Turkey Food Drive: November 19, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the George R. Brown Convention Center. The donations go to the 42nd Superfest, which takes place on Thanksgiving. More information is available here.
- Lone Star College-Houston North: November 19, December 3, and December 17 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the LSC-Houston North Greenspoint campus.
Copyright 2020 by KPRC Click2Houston – All rights reserved.